Butternut Squash and Chickpea Soup
Author: Tori Avey
Recipe Type: Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1½ lbs cubed and peeled butternut squash
- 3½ cups cooked chickpeas (or two 15 oz. cans additive free chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- In a large pot, heat up olive oil over medium. Add the onion and sauté for about 10 minutes till softened.
- Add the butternut squash and cooked chickpeas to the pot. Cover with 2 quarts (8 cups) of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, and ½ tsp of salt. Cover the pot, lid slightly vented.
- Let the soup cook for 20-25 minutes till the squash is tender.
- Take the lid off and stir in the fresh spinach leaves.
- Continue to let the soup simmer for 1-2 minutes till softened and wilted.
- Remove from heat. Season with additional salt to taste, if desired.
- Serve hot. May be served over steamed brown rice for a more filling entrée.